Healthcare is one of the top economic and communal problems facing many nations in the world. In most nations, the increase in health insurance and medical care has resulted to an unfavorable outcome to livelihood of several citizens. It has been noted in many nations that; failure to pay required medical care has amplified not only to those citizens who are not covered but also to those insured. Over the past 50 years medicine has improved worth of life and enlarged life expectancy ensuing to disparities in healthcare access. One of the top contributing issues is poverty in many nations. The causal path linking poor health results and scarcity are very complex. Through carried out studies on healthcare organisms plan, and inefficiencies are rising to be undertaken in many nations due to widespread appreciation of cost repression need.
Wasteful expenditure in the U.S. healthcare scheme is a widely accredited and seemingly intractable crisis. Healthcare costs caused by inappropriate and preventable use of medicines surpass $200 billion in 2012, according to IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics estimates. This study finds that even though unnecessary costs are considerable, encouraging advancement is being made in tackling some of the disputes that drive inefficient spending in many parts of the healthcare system.
Problems facing cost of healthcare
In most countries, avoidable costs in healthcare are usually incurred annually. The most contributing factor of this avoidable cost expenditure is delayed evidence-based treatment and non-adherence accounting for over 67% of the total cost. The problems facing cost of healthcare includes:
- Medication of non-adherence. This entails patients not taking their medicines appropriately. This results to complications that are expensive to treat, and it may worsen the health outcomes.
- Misuse of antibiotics. This results from inappropriate prescriptions and misdiagnosis that misleads to provide patients with antibiotics. Due to their low cost and misperceptions against severe diseases contribute to their overuse and misuse. This problem results to antimicrobial resistance and downstream avoidable costs as well as expensive treatment.
- Delayed evidenced-based treatment practice. This occurs due to delayed supply of medicines to patients. Diagnostic and screening capabilities can minimize and support timely delivery of medicines to curb costlier complications.
- Other problems include Mismanaged poly-pharmacy, Sub-optimal use of generics, and medication errors.
Solutions to these problems
- Regulations should be laid down on the supply and prescription of antibiotics.
- Government should also enhance adequate supply of medicines in all areas in a timely basis.
- The public should also be taught on the essentials of following doctor’s prescriptions to the letter and seeking medical advice and check-ups to qualified healthcare staffs.
- Public should also be encouraged for frequent medical checks so as increase of chronic diseases they are treated in early stages.
To promote and support upgrading in the worth and cost on the growing effectiveness and level of patient commitment in sinking healthcare expenses. The recommendations are;
- Employ technology for automatic filling of recommendation prescription, and automated prompt calls to patients.
- Motivations to empower and motivate pharmacists to implement a new patient service model and take part in the plan, with clearly defined benefits and objectives and a long-term plan.
- Training course that is obtainable to other healthcare stakeholders and pharmacies who can gain from the advance and the lessons educated.
There are a lot that healthcare stakeholders can do to endorse the responsible use of drugs, to progress health outcomes and finally reduce preventable healthcare costs. Most of these measures entail the involvement of several healthcare stakeholders. Taking into account the precedence actions delineated above, the extent of the improvement prospect in terms of unnecessary costs, and the timing and venture necessary by each action, five guiding principles surfaced which need to be pursued aggressively in order to accelerate progress.
IMS Institute. Avoidable Cost In Healthcare.’’ American Health Journal. WEB.