Are All Organic Foods Versus Conventional Foods Healthier for Human Health?
Thesis Statement: Organic foods are not healthier for human health as compared to conventional food.
Technological advancement has led to the production of convectional food since it is much easier to modify the environment to meet the required threshold. Due to the modifications and use of chemicals involved in making convectional food people argue that organic foods are superior in terms of health benefits to humans. However, this is a controversial topic as researchers claim that conventional foods and organic foods are both beneficial to humans in terms of health. This issue has raised concerns which prompted research to be conducted to study the benefits of organic foods versus conventional foods on human health. All technical terms will be defined in detail at the appendix section so that readers can easily understand. The research paper seeks to answer the question if organic foods are heathier than conventional foods by as I believe that they are not healthier than convectional food.
- Literature Review
- Organic foods contain close to 30 percent of chemicals and pesticides absorbed during growth. An analysis conducted by the Annals of Internal Medicine to ascertain the nutritional value of organic foods and conventional foods found out that organic foods are nutritious (Watson). The researchers evaluated several studies that have been conducted about organic and conventional foods. Mayo clinic also confirms that phosphorus is the consistent nutrient present in organic foods. However, researcher claims the levels of phosphorus have no impact since very few people suffer from phosphorus deficiency (Mayo Clinic).
- Research shows no difference, at all, in taste, health or safety between organic and conventional foods. The researchers concluded that most organic foods contain only two nutrients better than conventional foods. Organic foods contain high phosphorus, and omega-3 fatty acids as compared to conventional foods.
- Conventional foods are designed to resist the herbicides, pesticides and fertilizer absorptions used during growth. Conventional foods could be beneficial to humans as stated in a study conducted by Genetic Literacy Project (Lomborg). Thus, conventional foods have low rates of chemicals than the organic foods. Conventional foods were proven to be safe by the Food and Drug Administration board of the United States.
- The same nutritional value present in organic foods can be found in conventional foods. The nutrient differences between the two are not that significant to state that conventional foods are less nutritious.
- According to the researcher’s conventional foods have untraceable levels of chemicals and pesticides due to their ability to resist the chemicals. On the other side, organic foods can absorb close to 30 percent of the pesticides used during growth.
- Debate about conventional and organic food health benefits for humans are unfounded as the information provided shows that conventional foods are healthy to humans just like organic foods.
The studies presented by researchers and scientists prove that both organic and conventional foods have health benefits for humans. Thus, Conventional foods have health benefits to humans than organic foods due to their ability to resist absorption of chemicals and herbicides.
Mayo Clinic. Nutrition and Healthy Living. Mayo Clinic, 2017,
www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/organic-food/art-20043880? pg=2. Accessed 4 May 2017.
The researchers, made up of mayo clinic staff found out that there is no difference between organic and non-organic foods when it comes to such factors as the price. It was found that both organic and conventionally grown apples have same fiber and vitamins.
Watson, Stephanie. Organic Food no more Nutritious than Conventionally Grown Food. Harvard Health Publication: Harvard Medical School, 2012, www.health.harvard.edu/blog/organic-food-no-more-nutritious-than-conventionally-grown-food-201209055264. Accessed 3 May 2017.
The author, using data from Annals of internal medicine Watson found that even though organic foods are safer as compared to conventional foods they have little extra nutritional benefits to offer compared to conventional foods.
Lomborg, Bjorn. “Think Organic Food is Better for You, Animals, and the Planet? Think Again.” Frontiers of Freedom, 2016, www.ff.org/think-organic-food-is-better-for-you-animals-and-the-planet-think again/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PgYP7BwBWIwEIuifXDQZYXDS7yTjzU8DhYhSEUO_q9gaAoNe8P8HAQ.
The author uses data from a five-year US study to show that there is no difference between organic and conventional diets. In fact, he found out that organics do not avoid pesticides. Organic pesticides like copper sulfate are associated with liver diseases in France.